Dear Doc,

I think you're being a little unfair to musicologists. You are
certainly right that people in the past were practical folk, and
would play music on whatever instruments were available to them, and
there's no reason why we shouldn't do likewise. However, that's not
really the point. I can think of two reasons why we should want to
know exactly which instrument Vivaldi had in mind when he wrote his
lute concerto:

a) historical reasons - to know and understand what happened in the
past, purely for its own sake;

b) practical reasons - through ignorance we might be making things
unnecessarily difficult for ourselves, e.g. trying to play music on
an unsuitable instrument, where the notes don't fall well under the
hand. More often than not, they knew what they were doing, and it is
generally a good idea to find out what they did and why, before
trying to go our own way.

Some years ago, when I was in Anost, France, for their annual
hurdy-gurdy festival, I had the pleasure of hearing "Spring" from
Vivaldi's Four Seasons played on a solo hurdy-gurdy. The player was
very adept, and the music was clearly recognisable. However, even
though hurdy-gurdies were commonly played at the time of Vivaldi, I
don't think it's quite what he had in mind when he composed his Four
Seasons. To use Roman's word, the performance lacked gravitas.

There's nothing anachronistic about wanting to play music as the
composer intended. Surely it's the other way round, i.e. not caring
which instrument to play. For the ultimate anachronistic
performance, I might consider using the instrument which happens to
be within easy reach as I sit at my computer. Here's some Vivaldi
intabulated for it.

_____a______a__h_____________a______a__h________
_h______h______________|_h______h______________|
___k______k____________|___k______k____________|
_________________h_h_h_|_________________h_h_h_|
_______________________|_______________________|

_h______h____________h______h______a______a______
_____h______h__f___|_____h______h______a______a_|
___________________|_________________g______g___|

 &c.

No prizes for identifying the instrument. For the rest of the
ensemble I would have the Violin 1 part played on a violin, the
Violin 2 part played on a mandoline, the viola part on a dobro, and
the continuo on guitar and double bass. It would be wonderfully
anachronistic, and would sound great.

Best wishes,

Stewart.