Dear Jon,

I'm pleased my e-mail on the theorbo tuning was useful. I think you
understand it now.

The word "re-entrant" is used to describe a tuning where the strings
do not ascend in the usual order of pitch. A harp, a violin, a
modern guitar - these and many more - do not have re-entrant
tunings, because as you go from the lowest string to the highest,
each successive string is higher than the previous one.

A good example of an instrument with a re-entrant tuning is the
five-string banjo, which has that short 5th string tuned higher than
the others, yet it lies where you'd expect the lowest string to be:

---(-)-----°----------------------
----/--------------------------o--
--/-|\--------------------o-------
-(--|-)--------------o------------
--\-|-----------------------------
   _|8          °

String:    5    4    3    2    1

The English cittern is another instrument with a re-entrant tuning:

---(-)----------°------------
----/----------------o----°--
--/-|\-----o-----------------
-(--|-)---------o------------
--\-|------------------------
   _|8

Course:    4    3    2    1

which is similar to the re-entrant tuning of the ukulele:

---(-)-----------------------
----/------o--------------°--
--/-|\---------------o-------
-(--|-)---------o------------
--\-|------------------------
   _|8

String:    4    3    2    1

The baroque guitar had various tunings, of which this re-entrant one
was common in France:

---(-)-----------------------------
----/-----------o--------------°---
--/-|\--------------------o--------
-(--|-)----°---------o-------------
--\-|------------------------------
   _|8          °

Course:    5    4    3    2    1

The re-entrant tuning of a theorbo with 2 courses down an octave
would look like this:

----------------------------------°---o-
-(---):-------------------------°-------
----/-------------------------o-----°---
---/------------------------------------
--------------------------o-°-----------
        --------------o-°
        ---------o- °
        ---o--°
        °
Course:14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

I've not tried writing music in this way before. It looks OK on my
screen; I just hope it comes out OK on yours. You'll need a
mono-spaced font like Courier to get the vertical alignment correct,
and with luck the little degree signs will look like notes in the
spaces between lines.

Best wishes,

Stewart.