I'm all for excercises that give you another view of how your muscles and
tendons are working. Thank you, Herbert.

Start slow and see what tends to give out or fail in the situation. Then
visualize the muscles doing what's requested while doing the excercise less
extremely. Then go slower and reach gently while the elbow goes further.
[Smile and relax as needed] With the elbow going to the extreme, of course
it will be difficult and maybe impossible--but you'll get a good picture of
what your finger/tendon/muscle group feels like and then be able to give it
more focused instructions as you learn difficult or exact placements.
Giving instructions to your fingers does take time and often strategy.
Don't shortchange yourself. If it's worth all the effort of getting this
instrument etc etc it's worth enjoying the ongoing endeavor to lay out,
prepare and understand your tools.

There are many times when you need to finger a difficult chord or passage
that seems depressingly impossible, maybe--for example-- require a root and
a 3rd on the lower courses such as that dreaded Cmaj chord w/ the e on the
4th fret, 5th course and the root on the 6th. If you treat this excercise
(and chord) good-naturedly they will eventually treat you well too.

And then there's that barre on the 7th w/ 10th frets on the outside
strings....brrrr....Are we having fun yet?   ;^)

Sean