From: "Caroline Usher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Vance Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "lute list" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: Church authority in the Renaissance.

> At 02:46 PM 1/29/2004 -0800, Vance Wood wrote:
> An overly condensed, black-and-white summary of 1000+ years of the history
of a complex institution with many different attributes and entities
extending over many nations, including some downright errors.

> > It took the invention of the printing press to change all of this
> >and start both the Protestant reformation and a couple of generations of
war
> >over issues spiritual.
>
> Umm, where do you fit in the medieval sects and their clashes with the
established Church?  Cathars, Waldensians, Albigensians, Jan Hus . . .

> >It was not until Henry VIII decided to challenge the authority of the
Church
> >by declaring himself the supreme head of the Church in England did the
> >mortar that held Medieval Christianity under the thumb of Rome start to
> >crumble, and the corruption of that institution begin to be known by an
> >increasingly educated population.
>
> Vance, have you never heard of Martin Luther?  Not to mention the many
earlier reformers,  many of whom wrought significant changes in the
institutional Church.

> Of course, any institution is corruptible.  To mention that the medieval
Church was corruptible and corrupted is to state no more than a truism.

> This short essay, which I found in about 5 minutes of Googling, will get
you started. Then you can follow the footnotes and suggestions for further
reading.
> http://www.the-orb.net/non_spec/missteps/ch11.html
>
> To the original questioner:  There are many books that will help you get
an impression of what people believed and how they lived, not only relating
to religion.  Not to blow the family horn, but I can't help mentioning a
book written by MY COUSIN, tantara tantara, Miriam Usher Chrisman, called
"Lay Culture, Learned Culture: Books and Social Change in Strasbourg,
1480-1590."  She examined all the books printed in Strassbourg during this
crucial period, and gets a lot out of them about people's lives.  Yes, books
were rare.  But books were not printed only for the learned and wealthy
classes, there were items to appeal to other classes.  Calendars,
medico-astrological texts, etc.  In fact the publishers divide neatly into
high-falutin & scholarly vs. popular & practical.  Interestingly, both types
published music.

> Another great read is a two-volume work of German broadsides from the
sixteenth-century, which I have mentioned before on this list.  Can't find
the title and author at the moment.  These are the newspapers of the day and
they range from the New York Times ("Description and Map of the Siege of
Vienna by Count so-and-so, who was in the entourage of Prince
such-and-such") to the Daily Enquirer ("Strange Growth of Hairy Grapes in
Augsburg," "Notorious Murderer Caught Tried and Executed in Frankfurt,"
etc.)

> Read the lay literature of the period.  Renard the Fox, Patient Griselda.
El Cid.  Roland.  Puppet shows were very popular and were based on these
familiar fables, as well as ancient stories about the Crusades, possibly
taken from the Italian 16th-century epics by Tasso and Ariosto.  Read
Boccacio's Decameron.  Machiavelli's play Mandragora.  There are even joke
books.  Of course there are thousands of English broadsides and pamphlets,
not to mention all the playwrights besides Shakespeare.  (I've always loved
the name "Ralph Royster-Doyster.")