Thomas,

I risk it, I speak to the English language and sound. I haven't the vaguest
idea what the term Bourdon means, but if your description is right I would
call it "sympathetic vibrations". That would not apply to the bagpipes, as
they are very unsympathetic (to most people <g>, although I was brought up
on them). If your definition is right then the easy way to test it would be
to damp the sympathetic strings and see if the sound changes. (A finger, or
a bit of tape).

Best, Jon