May I add to Gordon's comments on sponsorship. Not from the courts of Europe
and their musicians, but from the precincts of Ireland. If there is a god of
the harpist (the traditional, not the orchestral) it is Turlough O'Carolan
(also transliterated Turloch Carolan). His time was 1670 to 1738, and he
became blind from small pox at eighteen years, and took up the harp then. As
he took up the instrument late he was never considered more than an adequate
harpist but he was a prolific composer (and looking at, and playing, his
works I think he might have been more than adequate).

In the style of the day he roamed Ireland as an entertainer and teacher,
supported by the "big houses". He had a talent for improvisation and a great
many of his pieces are called "Planxty", that being a dedication to his
host, or the lady of his host. So when I play Planxty George Brabazon I am
playing an approximation of the piece he improvised in the house of George
Brabazon. I say an approximation as none of his compositions were written
down, he being blind. They were transcribed after the fact by others to whom
he had taught them. Even Mozart made a comment on his Poor Irish Boy, a very
simple melody on the whistle, but an interesting composition if played with
harmony.

My point, in this digression, being that the relationship between musician
and sponsor was a symbiosis. In those days there was a lot more of that as
there was less of an economy. The musician couldn't make a CD and sell it to
the populace, he had to depend on those who could feed him as he neither
grew grain nor raised beef. A time of transition from the strict "estates"
of medieval times - the peasant, the military and the clergy - to the time
of artisans and traders and artists, along with the traditional producers,
protectors and "shamans" - and thence to our modern culture of general
consumption of the arts, when we have enough production to spare. (And let
none of this suggest that I concur with the current public definition of
what is valuable art - but that is both the value and the curse of a free
market in the arts). Perhaps if one of you could get P. Diddy interested in
promoting the lute we might again have music on the airwaves, but I have my
doubts.

Best, Jon