Dear Arthur,

finally I'm back from switzerland! Yes - I've played or rehearsed what
will be heard in Schweden in june. We haven't perfomed the Hagen-Duet
for a while ...
And I have collected material for the bookstore of the LSA end of june!

I'm very sure Craigs explanation is correct. Also Matthias gave a link
to tibetian and far east traditions of that kind of singing.
I was told it could also be considered a traditional european technique.
But you won't find any evidence. So this is just guesswork. In any case
there are interesting experiments of modern composers who require this
technique.

Best wishes
Thomas

--