= Dear Matthias,

   = thanks for your reply. You wrote:

   = > I'm sorry to say you misunderstood

   > my point, though. The melody, as you say, i.e. the contrapunto /

   > counterpoint (division) does _not_ include the cantus firmus of La

   > Spagna.

   =  All but one note of the spagna cantus firmus as it was written down
   by  Ortiz  is  embedded in Francesco's contrapunto (the missing one is
   note   number   13).  I  admit  that  I  don't  took  frequent  octave
   transpositions into account, also the spagna- notes often don't appear
   at  prominent  places. But can this be mere coincidence? I thought you
   would refer to this very point, when you wrote in your first posting:

   =  "Listening  to the latter combination (contrapunto + melody only) a
   few  times,  it  has  seemed to me that the counterpoint bears on this
   very  melody,  and  is  not so much a free counterpoint over the three
   part tenor."

   =

   = > The cantus firmus of La Spagna has been embedded into the

   > tenor which is, according to Stewart's suggstion, an intabulation of

   > three-part-setting of La Spagna, with the cantus firmus running

   > through all registers. If you take the *bass* of that

   >  three-part-setting,  it  will  consist  of some notes of the cantus
   firmus

   > (tenor, actually) and some of the bass.

   =  Of course you are right, but there are only two instances where the
   lowest  notes  are  the cantus firmus notes, and here the bass clearly
   shares the same two notes as the chords are only two voiced here.

   =  Maybe  it's  all  a bit far fetched as a solo, but it doesn't sound
   bad,  although you can't play it very fast. At least one could add one
   more voice to your suggested lute and viol duet...

   = Viele Grüße,

   = Stephan

   > "Stephan Olbertz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

   > > arranging the piece into a solo is worth the effort, too. Just the
   > > bass of the second lute (not the tenor as it is already in the
   >  >  melody  as  you noticed) and the melody (you have to transpose a
   few<= /div>
   > > basses, though).
   >
   > --
   > Best,
   >
   > Mathias
   >
   > Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/
   > Germany, T/F +49 - 421 - 165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67,
   > E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
   > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   >
   > "Gesucht: Das Beste für die Stadt"
   >  Ökumenischer  Stadtkirchentag  vom  19.  bis  26. September 2004 in
   Bremen