Dear Stewart,

I couldn't agree with you more. Particularly about getting the beer in the
Pub. As you know I've not performed on the lute in public (which should be
considered a great benefit to the public), but have done a bit of time "on
stage". The fellow performers will be more worried about their own perceived
mistakes. And those of the audience who loved you, if just for performing,
don't care. And those who are critical would be critical of anyone, as that
is their nature. To them I'd give "answer 3" - "I find xxxioni's
interpretation of this piece too slow/too fast, or mis-read". Then go for
your beer. Those who enjoyed it need no excuses, and those who didn't listen
to the song but only heard the technical details don't deserve an excuse
(let them play it). And one last thing, if you really blow a piece then
stop - make a really big smile - and say I'm starting this over so you can
hear it properly. The good people will love that, and the critics would be
critics anyway.

Best, Jon