Hi Lutepeople,

I've recently been gently pushed into the 1600 to 1640 frame, by a.o. James,
and found this passage in Mertel's introduction from Mathias' translation:

"For although we Germans are not used to the so called French tablature,
exercise and practise will easily overcome what is difficult, particularly
because here the letters have been put above the line whereas otherwise they
are usually put on the line."

Personally I always thought, "on the lines", was a tiny bit easier to read
than above. What is Mertel implying? That German luteplayers prefered or
mostly played Italian tab in 1615? (Probably!)

I must be tainted by guitar-tablature? There's no question Mertel prefered
"French-above-line-tab"!

Just remembered a mail by Monica a while back, questioning this guitar/lute
online/above-line difference...

B.R.
G.