I'll go out on a limb here, Daniel, and please forgive me if you get better
input elsewhere. Yes, I know it's a little bind moggling.

First off, you might try using G or C as your tonic since more of your
average lute music is in those scales. A is a little problematic since it
often requires an G# leading tone (instead of playing open 1st or 6th
course open. Ok, I'm assuming you have a G lute). Yes there is some great
lute music in A but it requires a lot of barred 2nd and 4th fret chords. Yucko.

I'm not familiar w/ Silberman but my little Korg offers Vallotti (and only
w/ a C tonic--great for G lutes, ok for D lutes but lousy for F# lutes) and
this is very close to 1/6. What it eventually gives me is a narrow interval
between my open and 4th frets --notice how your fretting system requires
the 4th fret closer to the nut? And also a narrow interval between the 3rd
and 4th courses --also a major 3rd.

(If you'd like to see a real interval of a major third in action, play a
harmonic just above the 4th fret on a regular steel fretted instrument (ie,
equal tempered). Notice how the node really wants to be closer to the nut?
That's where your perfect major 3rd really wants to be and would represent
1/4 meantone. Alas, we can't really have that because it would give us no
modulation room so we wiggle it a smidge bridgewards and call it 1/6
meantone. But try moving your lute's 4th fret right under the node and see
how it sounds--there are times when it's very very nice!)

It makes up for this by making the 4ths (the other adjacent open courses,
eg, the open to 5th frets) imperceptively wide. If you've arranged your
frets according to one of the many charts available and chosen Aflats
instead of G#s then you'll notice that almost all your major 3rds are
narrower in C major than in equal temperment. G major too....except that
damned 1st fret on the 4th course! Thus that inelegant but useful tastino fix.

This probably won't answer your entire question but it's a different way of
looking at than dividing umpteen octaves by something or another which I
can't keep straight either.

I see that Ed D. has also written in so I'll stop right here and let him
take over...

cheers,
Sean