From: Jon Murphy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 28 December 2004 09:18
To: Vance Wood; lute list
Subject: Re: Instrument Sounding

Vance,

I'm with you, I just mentioned the banjo finger picks as I know of them
(tried 'em, hate 'em). But I wonder at what you say of the lute - I thought
(from previous messages when I first joined the list) that lute players not
only didn't use fingernails but also wanted soft flesh on their fingers. The
instruments I know to "require" fingernails are classical guitar and wire
strung harp. I don't play classical guitar, but I do play an equivalent to
the wire harp and find my rather hardened fingertips are fine for that, yet
not too hard for lute or nylon strung harp. I guess that one can't have
perfection if one plays different instruments, but the best compromise is
probably no fingernails.

BTW, you spell the "loo" as "lew", not that I mean to pick nits. It just
gives me the opportunity to bounce a thought off our UK brethren on the
list. I have a theory on the origin of the word. The English word of some
time back for the "john" is W.C. (water closet). Nineteenth C. England was
noted for euphemisms and nicknames. England (with the Prussians) defeated
Napoleon at Waterloo. Only a small step to convert water closet into
Waterloo as a nickname, and then abbreviate it to "loo". Not lute related
(unless you leave out the "t"), but I love words as well as music.

Best, Jon