"Jon Murphy" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> The mandocello is larger mandolin. The sequence in size is mandolin,
> mandora, mandocello, mandobass.

mandolino, mandola, mandolone, rather. mandoloncello would then be a
small mandolone. mandora is something else.

> My new charango (which Bill tells me that you accepted as an instrument when
> you decided it was basically a vihuela de mano) will make a fine alto
> mandora (tuned to d" rather than g") when I get the right strings on it
> (I've approximated them from my spare stock and it works, now ordering
> better guages). But I can't call it a mandora as it has a "waist" like the
> vihuela/guitar family, but also the deep rounded body of the lute and
> mandolin.

May I add that your obvious notion of what a mandora should be does not
congrue with what it was in 18th century, namely 6c mandora (tuning:
F-G-c-f-a-d', also G-A-d-g-b-e', with its 6th course retuning as
required), aka calichone (bass tuning: C-D-G-c-e-a). Cf. Pietro
Prosser's articles on this.
--
Best,

Mathias