"Arto Wikla" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>> a LONGER VIBRATING TONE.
>
> I strongly doubt that! Many, perhaps most of us(?), used some time ago
> the wound pyramid basses. Those modern guitar style strings have very
> long vibrating tone. And most of us(?) wanted to get rid of long
> vibrating tones, which made an archlute or theorbo sound like a grand
> piano played with pedal down...

yes, indeed. In August I attended a recital with music by Weiss, played
on a 13c swan-neck with endlessly vibrating wound basses. Couldn't help
falling asleep (my way of resistance in hopeless situations of that
kind). A week ago, I had a newly built swan-neck (after Martin Hoffmann)
in my hands that was strung with nylgut all over, i. e. down to the 13th
course. The maker was afraid it might *plopp* too much with the very
tone fading too soon. But I enjoyed it very much. It was strong and
clear and had an percussive element that considerably contributed to the
rhythmical structure of the music. --
Cheers,

Mathias