Tim,

Re:  Ronn's tuner.  He may have had something like the Intellitouch tuner
clamped on the peg head.  A quick search on eBay for 'lute tuner' in musical
instruments should get you a look at it.  It would surprise me if WoodWind &
BrassWind didn't have some of these, too.

Cheers,
Steve

timothy motz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I also have a Korg CA30 and have found it to be quite satisfactory
and within my price range. I bought a clip-on pickup that plugs into
the input jack on the tuner, which I've found to be very helpful,
especially when my teacher and I are tuning up right before a lesson.
The tuner no longer picks up his lute when I'm trying to tune mine.
I just clip the pickup on the peg-head, although it works equally
well if I just clip onto a peg key.

The CA30s are cheap enough that I will probably buy a second one to
keep in the case with my new lute when it's finished.

I remember at the 2002 LSA conference sitting slightly behind and to
the side of Ronn McFarlane as he performed (it was a packed room) and
seeing red lights blinking on the back of the peg-head of his lute.
It took me a bit to figure it out, but he must have had a very
compact tuner attached to or embedded in the peg head, which I
thought was really cool. I wonder what kind it was?

Tim