> My first tutor was Giesbert's book (only the very first starting exercices)
> and then Satoh's book which is usefull if you already have played the
> renaissance lute. If one should start lute playing with the baroque lute
> Giesbert is still among the best choices.
>
> Best wishes
> Thomas

And Giesbert says specifically, use of middle finger for the first 4
courses, the thumb for the 5th to 13th courses. When the need arises,
index and anular to be used according to specified dots ("..."). He
uses ample examples, where the anular is used throughout the book,
(logically, when 4 courses are chorded, but also in arpeggio
patterns). I believe the book has not been translated to english, and
therefore only readable in that very artful german calligraphy.