LGS-Europe wrote:
> Ballette Gravesand (Fluyten Lusthof I) = Laura (Fluyten Lusthof II) = the
> English song 'The fairest nymph the valleys or mountain ever bred' = a mask
> song.
>
> First appearance in Holland is in Starter's Friesche Lusthof.
>
> Lute versions in:
> M.L. lute book (f 32r, no title)
> Board lute book (f 38v grays Inn mask)

Add:
Osborn fb 7     89v/6   The Queens ffuneralle
M. L.   30r/2   graysin maske

> There are also versions for lyra viol (playable on a lute) in:
> GB-Och MS 531-532 (item 31, no title)
> Browne lyra viol MS (Temple Masque)
> Manchester lyra viol MS (Alman)
>
> All this, and much more (back ground, instrumental versions (e.g. a keyboard
> setting by Orlando Gibbons),

1186     36v/2  ye fairest Nymphes ye valleys.  Brookes, No. 760
5609      2/2   The fairest Nymphes the Valleys or Mountains ever bred etc
Brookes,
No. 760
Och 437  5r     Grayseind: Maske:       Brookes, No. 760
Bunbury 13v-14r/1       Grayes Inn Maske        Brookes, No. 1746
Rogers   3r     The fairest Nimphes the valleys or mountains ever bred, etc
Brookes,
No. 1746
36661   60v     A Maske By Mr orlando Gibbons   Brookes, No. 1746
5609    127/1   The Fairest Nymphes the Valleys Brookes, No. 1746; copied from
10337
1186     39r    ye fairest nymphes ye valleys etc.      Brookes, No. 1746
5609    124/1   The fairest Nymphes the Valleys Brookes, No. 760

Rainer aus dem Spring