Dear Arto,

why haven't we heard about this before? It sounds like a bloody good
story like a writer would use: A community of opium- or hemp-smoking
vocal composers, active in France in the 15th century, turning out
some amazing "avant-garde" music. They said in the radio program that
the music was to be found in some well known manuscript. (And what
result would come from intabulating it for the lute?). I'd really like
to know more about this, so if you or anyone could give some clues of
how to find out more about this, I'd find that really interesting! (Or
is this all just a storm in a waterglass? The music I heard was quite
amazing though, and seemed to fit the drug theory...)

B.R.
G.

Hi all,

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, G.R. Crona wrote:

> surrealistic. The music was definitely what you would today call
> "avantgardistic", although still (barely) inside the musical idiom or fold
> of the times. The text dealt with the word "fumé". I always believed "fumé"
> came to Europe with the discovery of tobacco after Columbus 1492. So what
> was this "fumé"? Tobacco, or something else? The radio DJ:s were musing on
> this subject and said: " The EM community have snubbed the drug theory and
> seen it more as an allegory or symbolically".

Dear Göran, just check "Avignon" and at least a couple of Popes at the
same time, etc... ;-)   I just guess it was opium the gang of composers
in Avignon were using?

Arto