Wayne,

Playing 12 string guitar in a highly un-airconditioned church in Bangkok in the
early and mid-1970's gave rise to a similar problem--  that and sweat just
plain pouring off the top of the guitar where my right arm contacted it.  I had
my then-wife sew a cover from one piece of sort of gold-colored towel and two
pieces of red-brown towel.  The cover covered the area from the waist,
diagonally to the bridge, then a couple inches along the bridge, then to the
end pin end of the top.  It also covered the rib from about the waist to the
end pin, and an area on the back somewhat larger than the area on the front.
It stayed in position simply with the weight of my arm on the top and the
pressure of my arm holding the guitar against my belly.

Seems a somewhat similar, but lute-shaped chunk of cotton towel might do the
trick, or at least help.  Yes, I know it might attenuate the sound and
resonance, but if you, like I, don't have the option of adding tons of
airconditioning (Do they still measure airconditioner out-put in tons? (grin))
we beggers can't necessarily be choosy.  Sigh!

The advanced version of the carefully sewn and shaped towel might include a
layer of fleece between the towel and lute ribs/top that wouldn't hold moisture
and might be less likely than cotton towel to stick to the varnish.  The high
tech version might include a layer of chamois or soft leather next to the lute
to keep it from slipping around.  Yes, with even greater attenuation, probably.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Steve