> Dear Roman;
>   I have no opinion at all regarding the comparative merits of Arthur's
> or Matanya's views except to say that Matanya's ad hominem postings
> concerning Arthur were very insulting and Arthur's postings were
restrained
> and professional arguments ad rem. I just felt that it was not quite
kosher
> to continue to denigrate Matanya and his views on this list after he had
> been removed and thus could not respond, at least not here.
I agree entirely, but the few attempts to make a martyr ot of MO required
some chemotherapy.

> I have the
> greatest respect for Arthur's scholarship and knowledge of the lute and
its
> music.
It wasn't made sufficiently clear in you first postings.

> I also respect Matanya's publication efforts. I can't even remember
> what the original dispute between Arthur and Matanya was about. I think it
> had something to do with whether  a certain composer's name was Leonhart
or
> Leornardo. I think Matanya's vitriol reflects more on Matanya than Arthur,
> and Arthur wisely chose to ignore most of it. I know from previous
exchanges
> between you and Matanya that there is no love lost between you. But I
always
> had the feeling that you and he seemed to be enjoying the Zen combat
which
> is what made the exchange entertaining no matter how heated it became. But
> now, it seems, the fun has gone out of it, and it's just sad. These are my
> thoughts on the matter.
Actually, I don't enjoy "combats". I much prefer talking about relative
merits of various objects of beauty, both tangible and intangible, and the
ways to make them..
RT