Stewart,

You make a fine point by not taking a position on terminology. There is no
"cat's head" on a ship, although the Romans did have the heads of lions and
tigers and bears (with apologies to the Wizard of Oz). But your comments do
have a certain validity. There is a "cat head" on an old sailing ship, and
also on a modern one. But I don't know where the nomenclature comes from.
The cat head is a solid timber with no decoration that is a beam from which
the anchor is hung when about to be dropped, it is only there to allow the
anchor to be dropped clear of the hull, the strain is not taken on the cat
head.

There are various "lays" of  the lines and cables on a ship, but all are
multiple layers. Cable laid versus rope laid, the opposite twist. But I can
see no relationship to the cat gut, these lays were many layered, unliked
strings.

As to it being an actual cat I object, and so does my cat. Unlikely that
even them most anti-feline medieval lutenist would choose to take the
innnards of a cat - sheep have a lot more length of innards (and are
normally slaughetered for food, where cats are only immolated for being
witch companions in medieval society).

I suggest that most hypotheses of word origins are false, too easy to make a
link between a similar sound and a linguistic origin. Were I to have the
time I'd make a message too long to read of nautical terms that have no
relationship to the land lubber's vocabulary, even though they sound alike

Stewart, I agree,

Best, Jon