Eugene,

My lady of over thirty years (we still "live in sin", but don't tell the
grandchildren of our trangression) has a phrase. "Ask Murphy the time and
he'll tell you how to build a watch".

> Wow.  There's a whole lot of writing going on here to clrify Herbert's
inquiry into what, I'm pretty sure, was trying to address the flame/figure
of maple (or similar flamed timber).

Yup, but had he said figure instead of tiger stripe I wouldn't have given
the instructions on "watch building". It was a fun speculation on the way
that a wood can have that pattern. I had just accepted the pattern before
his question. Given that every tree grows with annular rings and with
longitutinal vesicles (the grain we work with) it would seem that all trees
should have "un-figured" planks, except as the annular rings pass through
them cross-wise. It made me think about the flamed/figured maple. I have a
guess. What if the genetic evolution of the tree in question involved
closely spaced branches (that would make the patterns of the branches in the
live wood), but then the further evolution, as climate changed, inhibited
those closely spaced branches. The embryonic nubbins of the abortive
branches would make patterns in the live wood, that would then be preserved
in the deeper wood. Just a thought.

Best, Jon