Somewhere in my files of printouts, or in my bookshelves, I have a reference
to a German tuning with A=380. I don't remember the era, but as all my
research is on harps and lutes - and I haven't looked at harp pitches - I
assume it was on the lute. I think it was probably something referenced by
Ephraim Segermann as he seems to address that topic in the notes I can find
immediately.

But that leads me to a question for you all. How did they know?

In the absence of modern measuring equipment how could one tell the actual
frequency of the vibrations? I doubt that anyone could actually count the
number of vibrations in one second of even the best mechanical clock of the
time. Of course there were standards, the tuning forks. We have estimates of
the ancient Greek pitches, although I know of no tuning forks from that era.
Probably good guestimates from the size of the instuments and the string
material.

I would have to assume that the orchestral instruments were made to a
relative pitch to some tuning fork standard rather than an actual knowledge
of the cps (Hertz for you new guys) of the pitch. I think it likely that
there were various standards in various eras and various places, each with
their own "A fork".

I would like to be disabused of this opinion - I would love to know what
technology allowed the old musicians to know the absolute number of
vibrations per second that they pitched their instruments to. Until someone
can tell me that I have to assume that we know the absolute pitch by using
their forks and testing them. It was hard enough to measure a second in
olden days, much less one 440th of a second. The relative pitch is easy, the
octaves double the frequency - but where is the base?

Best, Jon
(Yeah, I know, a Ukranian genius invented a water driven occilliscope in
1647)