Hi

One thing I did years ago, prior to North's book and
other continuo tutors being published was to take
madrigal collections with keyboard reductions and read
the bottom 3 or 4 parts or just read them from a
choral score, then go back and  take just the bass
line and do an on site realization(protocontinuo) It's
interesting to see the formulas they used. Every once
in a while I put basso figures under some notes. The
AR editions of Caccini, Peri etc. are also fun to go
through the figures are minimal as compared to later
works by Bach, Teleman etc. The Malpierro Vivaldi
series, available in most University Libraries is
great too. But, as far as the 17th cent. goes, watch
that Purcell - some hairy figures. At the same time I
was doing this - late 70's early 80's - I was giving
guitar lessons in studios and in the public schools,
and worked on harmonizing Go tell Aunt Rhody and other
gems, either in jazz chort forms or with a more
classical, finger style/bassline block chordal or
arpeggiated ala Giuliani approach.
. Oh...and do as much harmonic analysis
of the period you are working with as you can...Hope
this helps

SS

Salvatore Salvaggio
http://www.Salvaggio.50megs.com