Hi Ed

How's your health, doing a little better again?

Thanks for your reply. It confirms my hunches. It's not much more than
hunches, anyway, with vihuelas, right?
I love the story of the Quito-instrument: we cannot get acces because it
belonged to a saint! Now, if that is not inducement enough to pick up the
instrument, I don't know what is.

I do love the design and sound of the Chambure instrument. Vihuela or not,
it does work. I saw a copy by Stephen Barber (he's working on my new
attiorbato/archlute right now) that I really liked. I have the booklet from
the Cité de la Musique explaining all (much) about vihuelas, including their
Chambure. Highly recommended reading.

So, no octaves because of consensus today that polyphony works better
without the octave strings? Doesn't convinve me yet. It works on early 16th
century 6-course lutes. So, why not on vihuelas?

I'm contemplating a 7th course to make it more versatile in non-tablature,
or transposed downwards, song accompaniments, but I don't want to spoil a
pure 6-course sound with a reverberating, boomy bass either. I could always
tune the 6th course a tone down, I suppose, it does help in 'proto-continuo'
or whatever you want to call it. An F and especially F# below the low G is
very usefull. But so is a D. Ah, eternal doubts!

Anyway, thanks again. I'll fret some more.

David