Dana,

> one issue to be resolved, how does a lutenist deal with loooong notes,
> easy on a bow, they are a challenge to decorate while still maintaining
> suspension (especially if one has difficulty playing like ala
> balalaika).

As I think Stewart pointed out, it should be ok to reiterate that note.
There are ways to keep it going w/out emphasizing the tyranny of the
downbeat. A light touch, on somebody else's off beat, away from the
bridge are some ways.

> Vocalized polyphony often brings out part-crossings by the simple
> expediant of having naturally contrasted voices, a performance of the
> same
> work on piano might be a dull succession of the apparantly repeated
> chords; the vocalized version is much more interesting to the
> listener.w

When we performed Cent milles ecus w/ the singer in the middle and a
lute on either side it was far more effective and easier to understand
from the audience's point of view (the stereo effect helped immensely
as well as seeing who did what) than one lute accompanying her.

Sean Smith