ARIA is a Japanese firm founded in Nagoya by Shiro Arai<sic> in 1956.  They
make electric guitars, for the most part, and acoustic Dreadnoughts.  No longer
make lutes.   --ajn
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christopher Witmer
  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
  Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:25 AM
  Subject: [LUTE] Re: Can anyone provide some insight into this instrument for
me?

  Thanks to the kind folks who have responded so far. I have a bit more
  information: the lute has the brand name "ARIA." I did a quick Google
  search and it seems like a 1970s-1980s brand (?) I could only find a
  reference to a 7-8 course Renaissance model; nothing like this one. And
  also I found someone saying it was an American instrument and someone
  else saying it was a Japanese instrument, so I don't know what to think.
  FWIW . . .

  Thanks!

  Chris Witmer
  Tokyo