Hi Donatella,

I'll forward your mail or ask Markus to forward it (if I should not find the
correct eMail addresses).
Vieux Gaultier is called Abbé in a ms. but we don't have evidence he had a any
ecclesial function.
The idea I got from the lecture is that it possibly depicts a french person
travelling to italy to buy such a bolognese lute. Anyhow nothing seems clear.
By the way: The title of the piece in the painting says "Gigue" but it
resembles a Canarie.
Is Gabbiani surely the painter? I seem to recall from the lecture that this is
not clear yet.

Best wishes
Thomas