I just came across a new CD containing music by Nicolaes Vallet from his 'Le
secret des muses'. The music is played by Nigel North, who will certainly
have become more familiar with dutch lute music nowadays as succesor of
Toyohikoh Satoh at the dutch conservatory at the hague in the netherlands.
If that's a reason for this recording I don't know; I doubt it actually, but
anyway).
The recording and playing is excellent and the contents gives a very good
overview of both books. I couldn't resist to compare it with an old recording
by eugene ferret. Ferret also recorded several lute quartets of book 2 which
is not on the CD by North, but in return you get more of the highlights of
the solo pieces missing on the ferret cd (which is perhaps not available
anymore). I also found the constant breaking of chords by Ferret a bit
annoying, but others didn't mind; north gives an beautiful interpretation.
Recommended!
Nicolas vallet - le secret des muses ACD2 2333 (ATMA)

taco walstra