Bruno wrote:

>The quotation  below is from Pat O'Brian right hand lecture. Could someone
>help me to understand what does he mean by the bending of the tip joint? The
>movement comes from the knucles and the 1st joint, but the tip will move
>passively, otherwise we won't have a big surface area touching the string.
>The tip will flex pressing down the string. Does he mean we should avoid
>bending the joint actively? I can't do that... In the classical (if I
>remember well) only in the rest stroke the tip will flex, in the free stroke
>it doen't move at all.
>"Concentrate the motion in plucking in the knuckles, (metacarpal=ADphalangal
>joint.) and the joint immediately below, (joints between 1st and 2nd
>phalangal rows.) Avoid motion between the 2nd and 3rd phalangal bones, or,
>in other words, bending of the tip joints during the stroke. This is
>probably the most important single problem: bending tip joints produces
>tension, impairs tone and volume, and encourages sympathetic motion of
>adjacent fingers. It is to be avoided by learning the articulation of other
>joints."

Pat explained this last week at the LSA Fest. By example put your finger tip
straight down on a hard surface as though you're pointing at that surface. Then
press down until the first joint starts to bend backward. This is what he's
talking about avoiding. You don't want the fingers to bend backwards. Oddly
enough, his own fingers can't do that so he had to find someone who's fingers
would in order to better explain it.

Regards,
Craig

Signup at www.doteasy.com