My understanding is that double, rather than single, stringing is
likely to have an effect on how a course will vibrate. I say this
having read, somewhere, I can't remember where, a description of the
physics of the sound of the piano.

Here is the piano logic applied to the lute:

When  you pluck the two strings simultaneously, they start vibrating
together in phase.
However, they quickly adjust to vibrating together, more comfortably,
with a phase separation of 180 degrees i.e. they vibrate in counter-
motion. And, I suppose, that they would settle down vibrating
parallel to the soundboard, even if they had been initially plucked
to vibrate perpendicular to the soundboard.

This phenomenon of a quick shifting from 0 to 180 degrees phase shift
is used to explain (in the case of the piano, anyway ) the difference
between the tone of the attack and the more fluty aftersound.

Miles Dempster