Dear Rebecca,

I'm no professional but I've seen a few play and they all seem to have
tied frets.

Fixed, I assume, would mean the frets are metal and imbedded in the
neck like a classical guitar. Tied would mean a loop of gut string
around the neck with a knot to keep it very tight and mostly immoble,
ie, you could move it if you *really* tried. There is a historical use
of metal frets from the time of your lute but they were only used on
wire strung instruments such as citterns and, slightly later,
orpharions and bandoras.

Your DRBL6c sounds like a very nice instrument. I recommend tied. It
will be true to the original and no more difficult to play. Your
luthier will put on the frets and they should last a long time. When
you bring it home mark a stick or the edge of a manilla folder where
the frets are and you can always push them back to their homes if they
stray.

all the best,
Sean Smith