David,

The body of the lute/theorbo - particularly the t'bo - affects the sound
profile immensely. By body shape we actually mean the shape and volume of
the air cavity within the body and how its volume and distribution affect
the propagation of the vibrations of the sound board. Likewise, the size and
placement of the rosette, the barring of the board and location and mass of
the bridge pose their own effects not to mention the MOL (modulus of
elasticity) and directional stiffness characteristics of the soundboard
material itself.

For instance, comparing three bodies with which I have some experience, the
Frei body, the "big" Dieffopruchar and the "little" Dieffopruchar. The big
Dieff has a "rounder" and more mellow sound in which the basses can become
muddy if the sustain is too great. The soundboard must therefore be
carefully barred to preclude this. It seems to provide adequate projection
if sufficient string length and tension are used and certainly provides a
stunning visual effect if the traditional 86/160cm lengths are used.

The Frei, in contrast, tends to have a more complex tonal profile with a
strong "core" tone reminiscent of a good guitar but with a coppery, bright
overtone floating over the core. This slightly imposing brightness gives the
little Frei a presence that belies its physical size and t'bos of 74/140cm
are quite loud and useful in ensemble (not to mention much easier to
transport). The little Dieffopruchar fall somewhere in between. The popular
Hoffmann, in my observation, is too deep so as to provide sufficient
brightness for penetration without silver overspuns in the bass and all the
way up to the 4th crs. Again, there is a risk of the basses becoming muddy
if the instrument is not barred for a shorter sustain in these "grand piano"
basses.

All that's the long way around saying that size does matter, particularly in
the body cavity. Each body seems to have a tonal profile and a Frei is a
Frei regardless of whether it's an 11crs or a t'bo.

Best,
Rob Dorsey
http://RobDorsey.com