Lucas,

    What about the dm lute in ensemble music, period?
We know that there is actually a significant amount of
music for baroque lute with other instruments.
Supposedly, Weiss worked to invent the swan neck lute
especially so that it could be heard in instrumental
groups.  And, although we can presume that he played
(dm?) theorbo in orchestral situations, there is a
letter from Weiss in which he describes accompanying
an aria on the lute - which he thought worked well in
terms of balance only _because_ he was joined by just
the basses and harpsichord.  They must have worked
something out in regards to temperament.

I don't have much practical experience (make that,
none) with this music, though. Did players of this get
around the temperament issue by usually not including
lute AND harpsichord in the same group?

Chris