Dear Sean,

This is the passage from Francesco da Milano's Ricercar 27:

 |\    |\
 |\    |
 |     |
____________c_______d_______
_a_____b__|_______|____a__|_
____a_____|_d_____|_b_____|_
_______c__|_c__b__|_c_____|_
_______a__|_______|_______|_
_d________|_c_____|_a_____|_

There is only one way to finger it, assuming you want to sustain the
part-writing. It doesn't involve the left-hand thumb:

  |\    |\
  |\    |
  |     |
______________3c________4d_______
__a_____1b__|_________|_____a__|_
_____a______|_4d______|_1b_____|_
________2c__|_1c__1b__|_2c_____|_
_________a__|_________|________|_
_3d_________|_2c______|__a_____|_

The chord at the beginning of the second bar is not difficult to
play, as long as you get the little finger down on the 3rd course in
advance, while playing the preceding chord.

-o-O-o-

It has been suggested, that the left-hand thumb could come in handy
for this chord of F major:

_c_
_d_
_d_
___
___
___

Unfortunately I cannot speak from experience, because I have an
8-course lute with low F available as an open string. However,
someone with a 7-course lute might find it a useful way of playing
that chord, especially if the neck of their lute is not wide at the
nut end.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.