In my case, its called getting old and myopic.....If I dont have the
music or tablature at 2 arms length away from me, I see everything
double.  Problem is that the stupid reading glasses they give you are
never made for being able to read from a music stand sitting a few
feet away from you and low...

The solution is to learn all your music by heart so when you play in
concert you don't look totally confused.....

and of course, you can then drink as many pints as you want, as long
as it doesn't impair anything else but your vision....

I by the way also have the same problem if I look at my strings,
instead of double strings, I now see 4 strings....so again, not
looking is the best solution. I recently bought a Santoor that I play
in my medieval group, and it has 4 strings per note.....fun when you
are trying to hit the damn things with tiny little hammers.... and
there I'm sorry, but I have to look...

So I guess I will have to bring the Santoor to my next appointment
with my optician, so he can make me glasses that will allow me to see
the instrument properly.

Bruno