Juan,

I hesitate to interject here, I am a very amateur lutenist (and although I
still receive the email from the lute-list I direct it to a separate "inbox"
as it is so voluminous). This came to me through the lute-builder list.

I am not a purist for the instrument, I play a kit version of what Musikits
called a "flat back lute". The designer was a guitarist with no knowledge of
lute (he made his G lute too long) as he really expected his customers to
buy it, and make it, as a "renaissance twelve string guitar". I made the
modifications, and I would call it an excellent "practice instrument" rather
than a "flat back lute". It has been played by several real lutenists,
including Ronn McFarlane, and judged a "sweet little instrument" - I think
we can call that "damned with faint praise".

Yes, I ramble, but I'm coming to a point. I am currently making a
renaissance lute from plans (for those who have heard this before the delay
was caused by a minor stroke - but all is well and I'll be getting back to
making the lute in the late summer). One thing I've learned from my practice
lute is that the course spacing at the nut should be defined by your own
fingers and hand, not by some classic formula. The stroke hit my left side,
and although I have full mobility of the left hand fingers I find I don't
get a clean touch on the courses and tend to "buzz" the next string. My
hands are small, in one sense, as the fingertips are narrow - but I have a
good reach (fifty five years on guitar). I intend to widen the fingerboard
(and the nut) on my new lute in order to make it fit my fingers, instead of
trying to make my fingers fit it. I'm sure that the "old boys" did the same
when they went to their lute builder. I'm also thinking of spreading the
bridge a bit, as my aging body hasn't the accuracy of placement it used to
have - but as my right hand isn't affected by the stroke I'll think about
that a bit.

Basically what I'm saying is that "standards" have no place in instruments,
except the standards of the music and the play. There are too few lutes
preserved to show the individual differences that might have been made for
the particular lutenist. Find a separation that works for you, and an easy
way to do that is to make a "dummy" lute. Cut a piece of wood of appropriate
length and get a bunch of "zither pins" (as used for the folk harp, or
psaltery) to anchor the strings. Then make several nuts and bridges to guide
them. It won't be an instrument, as it won't have any resonance, but it will
let you try the feel of the spacings. (I'm going to do that before I settle
on my modifications to the plans I have - which I may also modify from a 7
course to an 8 course renaissance).

As an old curmudgeon I would normally say that one should learn to fit
oneself to the standards, but as one who has been around a long time I can
recognize that each hand is different, and one can't change the shape of
one's fingers.

Best, Jon