Shiro:

Up front you need to realize that buying a lute is a serious financial
commitment.  They are not generally available over the counter except in
a place like the Early Music Shop in Bradford, England.  There are
several hundred luthiers around the world who can build you one, custom
made to your specifications, but that will take time (six months to four
or five years, depending on the demand for that builder's work) and $1500
to $6000 or more.

A very fundamental choice you must make is what kind of music you want to
play.   Many people use the term "medieval music" for anything old.  You
need to understand clearly the distinctions and stylistic differences
between Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque music.  The lutes required are
completely different.  (So you may end up buying several instruments.)
Some nice samples can be found on YouTube:
Medieval:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4CehJEK8A&NR=1
Renaissance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23_pcCZkZg   (Played by a professional)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lKc_JMmIg   (Played by a
non-professional)
Baroque solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIANAfU2cS4   (Played by a professional)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlFbu-0I3g    (Played by a
non-professional)
or Baroque ensemble music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkjkbSBHAs

Finally, you need to realize that there is a significant time commitment
involved in learning to play.  All of the people who made these videos
have worked at it regularly for many years to achieve the level of
proficiency you see there (the shortest being around 4 years).

Regards,

Daniel Heiman