Le 22 août 07 à 17:14, LGS-Europe a écrit :

> When I want Beethoven, I buy Brendel, and I will respect all his
> choices as part of the unity that he presents to me. Other player,
> other choices, including sound. Compare Hoppy's and Nigel North's
> Dowland recordings. Not just a different musical approach, also a
> whole different recording sound. It makes it easier to choose that
> way. ;-)

What is the input of Hoppy and Nigel North on their recordings? One
would hope they are interested, and that they want to control the
sound as much as they can. Of course you can't control the volume at
the listener's end, and that is one of the key elements in getting
the focus of the sound right; but you are right to take it as far as
you can.

However, Hoppy, now seems to be searching more for a sort of
universal musicality (and there is no denying he is musical), which
seems to allow him to ignore strings, acoustics,  and even possibly,
the quality of his lute; almost as though these no longer matter at
the particular stage of research he has reached. It was not always so.

I was looking this morning, at his De Rippe recording of 1977. He
states clearly, in his own signed notes, that the musical language of
a period seems to come to life best when you use the specific means
available at the time, and thus gut stringing is an essential
element, in this, in spite of the problems for the interpret. I
translate a little wildly from the French.

Now some may not like that record (I do, but it was one of the first
gut-strung lute recordings I bought), and perhaps Hoppy has matured
beyond this sort of preoccupation. He has every right to determine
his priorities, as the sensitive musician he undoubtedly is.
Perhaps like a number of musicians before him, he considers only the
performance counts (you must be there to hear him, too bad if you are
not), and so the recording might be of little, or no import to him.
Indeed, the Dowland recording, without his presence, seems but a pale
shadow of what I thought I had heard in concert.

This may be good. We should not just listen to recordings; and I do
not mean to say he does not care, or is self indulgent, in some way.
On the contrary, he has almost a quiet "religious" humbleness before
the music he is playing, and this is truly extraordinary to watch and
hear, but after a month or so, I could not find the same quality
coming through the recording. I know you never can find the true
presence of a performance on record (especially one that is not
recorded live), and perhaps the more a musician's presence is clearly
felt in the auditorium, the greater the disappointment, at his
absence, when one simply listens to his records.

Sorry, I have strayed a little,
Best regards
Anthony