different 'tastini' positions on each of the courses (your analysis seems to only focus on the first course): in short, unplayable.
<<

Dear Martyn

My analysis was about fret position 2 on courses 3 and 4, as David tayler brought that up. Not about the first course. As it happened, this was one of the situations where the theory was perfect and did not need a compromise. Perfectly playable, then? But as I explained, not all fret positions on all strings are perfect. But this is life and we live by finding practical solutions to practical problems. I find that aspect of musical life appealing, by the way.

My 'theory' is just to explain my practice, which is playing on lutes/theorbo/baroque guitar in perfectly playable, different shades of meantone. My mathematics is shaky, but enough to calculate fret positions starting with cents deviations from ET. All this does, is get me theoretical positions for all frets on all courses. Because frets are straight I make compromise positions for some if not all frets. If the compromise is too bad, I decide a fret unplayable (on a g'-lute: g# third fret on fourth course is an obvious one, in meantone temperament with a high third fret). The first fret needs special attention: either a double fret (theorbo is ok for me with double first fret) or high first fret and tastini on courses 4, 5 and 6 and a non-playable first fret on the first string (tastini on first fret first string I cannot set up: always buzzing). Or low first fret and tastini for courses 2 and 3. Somehow the last option seems more practical, but I always end up with a high first fret and tastini for all the bass courses ... Easier for my hands, whatever. I have colleages who manage fine with a low first fret and tastini on course 2 and 3, so that must be me. So far this was theory only: setting up frets with a ruler. Utterly useless if you don't go to the next step: check and adjust by ear and/or tuner. You may skip the calculating and setting by ruler: just push frets 1 and 3 up, 2 and 4 down and go straight to the checking and adjusting. Apart from the obvious compromise notes, it is to be expected that some notes will be better than others. But that's the same with ET, because thick basses and thin trebles react differently to the same fret positions, so course 1 and 6 already need a different fret position, especially higher up the fingerboard. Gut bass players may end up with rather slanting frets in ET as well. Octave strings can be a problem. All of these practical problems are normal for us anyway, they just require practical solutions. I remember a (metal fretted) guitar recording of a particular song where I had to record introduction, song and coda in three different takes, as each section was in a different position on the fingerboard. I had to tune three times! It was an old Panormo, strung left handed and with nylgut. That alone would have required it to be tuned thrice. ;-)

David

****************************
David van Ooijen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.davidvanooijen.nl
****************************

 MH

LGS-Europe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > I don't yet see how the second fret can be minus 7 for B and plus 7
for G but once I try it perhaps I will see.

Deviations from ET in cents.

A = 0
B = -7
G = +7
F = +14

Course 3 = A, 0 cents deviation from ET.
Fret 2 = -7 gives B = -7.
Course 4 = F, +14 cents deviation from ET.
Fret 2 = - 7 gives G= +7.

It's not perfect everywhere on the fingerboard, but here it is.

David

David van Ooijen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.davidvanooijen.nl