On Monday 17 December 2007 11:23, LGS-Europe rattled on the keyboard:
> Rob
>
> What a work, especially when you could also spend your time playing your
> new lute...
>
> Just some thoughts:
> - Alfabetto is not always in agreement with the suggested harmony (or even
> figures when printed) in bass and melody.
> - There are more ways of figuring a Kapsberger song, so writing down an
> editorial figuring might suggest to an innocent continuo player that that
> is the only correct one and consequently constrain his discovery of other
> possibilities.
>
> Hence I prefer to see the bass only, if no figures were in the original. I
> like to make up my own mind.
>
> With Kapsberger the picture is diverse: Libro Primo of the Motetti
> Passeggiati have just a bass, Libro Secundo with Arie a bass with a few
> figures, Libro Primo with the Arie Passeggiate a bass and written out
> theorbo tab. The Villanelle Libro Primo have bass, theo-tab and alfabetto,
> Libro Secondo bass, a few figures and alfabetto, Libro Terzo a bass with
> more figures, theo-tab and alfabetto and Libro Quarto is like Libro Secondo
> again. The music not published by Spess I have only seen in transcription,
> but the books listed here give enough insight in Kapsberger's harmonical
> world to figure out the figures for yourself, and as a player I prefer that
> above an editorial figuring in this music.
>
> Keep up the good work, Kapsberger wrote some beautiful arias and jolly
> villanellas.
>
> David
I can only fully agree with David here. If you play for example some of the
kapsberger toccatas you see some very daring chords (those super chords where
the 10course toccata 3 and 6 start for example...). This gives an idea how
Kapsberger accompanied such songs. The songs with theorbo tab gives you the
proof. figuring of kapsberger songs is something much more complicated than a
simple alfabetto. Not to speak about those songs which will not fit in modern
typesetting because of the number of notes etc.
Taco