On Tue, Feb 5, 2008, Duncan Midwinter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

>> At 06:37 +0000 5/2/08, Duncan Midwinter wrote:
>> >Is there a method for drawing the teardrop shape of a lute soundboard
>> using
>> >circles? I've been messing around in Adobe Illustrator drawing different
>> >sized circles and can almost get there -- but not quite.

compass, dividers, straightedge are traditional drafting tools which were
certainly used in the renaissance.  A thin piece of wood (batten) is a
common way of making a smooth curve whose mathematical shape is, well,
probably best left to a mthematician to puzzle out.

The lines drawn on wood then must be realized using hand tools to
accomplish a mold or some template; the intended shape is not always
realized, but something good enough emerges, and is then used to guide the
lute body's construction, again, an approximation.

The human eye is a wonderful thing, sometimes its best to trust it and be
happy.
--
Dana Emery