Martin
I entirely agree with David. I always think that engineers add reverb because they know that computers and even some CDPs and hifi have a barren sound. Perhaps, Martin people who have preferred the reverb version have listened directly through their computer speakers, or they have become so used to reverb engineered sound that they can't do without it. MP3, is already a very lossy format, any further treatment will loose even more information. As you say, the better solution is to play with the position of the mics, and perhaps also the angle, as I think the inner mics of the HD2 can be controlled to act as though they are at an angle. If you feel the room is to dry, it would be better to close the curtains, for example, to damp the sound a little.

The difference between the two recordings, is clearly audible on my computer, even though I have a minimalist digital computer solution that only works alright for casual short time listening to short bursts of MP3. I would not think of listening to a whole record on it. I simply use an M-Audio transit card, that cuts out the computer's sound card, and the mains version of the small amplified JBL on tour speakers. I don't know how people manage to listen to complete recordings on i- pods, but then i can't use a mobile either.

I admit to deep sympathy for the true dynamics of an old Nagra tape recorder, and a valve driven microphone. Having said that, and no doubt having been well and truly classed as as a fuddy-duddy, but I already was ...
I think you are doing an excellent job Martin.

I think it is a very good idea to have recordings of your lute models on your site(as Dan Larson does), both to show what your lutes can sound like, but also as education. Even though microphones and MP3 add their own quality, in a recent discussion on the French lute list, one owner of a Burkholzer declared he could clearly recognize the Burkholzer sound, on the Larson site, although his lute was an aechlute made by Gyorgy Lorinczi.

I seem to remember, Martin, that at a recent meeting of the English lute society, which I unfortunately missed, you made comparisons of various renaissance lutes, almost in a blind test. I feel sure that "lute tastings" could be an excellent exercise, just to see how well we recognize the models across different lute makers, and different lute makers across different models. This is exactly the sort of education you can receive in wine- tasting; and we all agreed recently, on the French lute list, that the two might be happily combined (hic) to see what wine and dish would best go with what music and what lute model, a Hugh Johnson for the lute world ...
Best regards
Anthony