A 78cm 10c bass lute in D (presumably Renaissance tuning?) - wow - that
sounds like fun. Wish I had one. Wish I had a gallichon in A, 95cms. Wish I
had an archlute. I do have an 11c - not designed for powerful continuo
playing - a baroque guitar - not suitable for Bach's bass lines - and a
theorbo arriving soon. I'll just have to fumble my way through somehow,
playing what I can. Martyn has very kindly offered to loan me his mega-large
gallichon in A, which intend to take him up on. It will probably lead to
more debt, in that I will doubtless want to buy one. It never ends...

Rob

Rob, before you acquire every type of bass lute thingy that ever existed on a quest to play a Bachian bass line: what about sustained notes? Imagine the supercilious glance of the cellist as she slowly bows long, long notes. Perhaps she gets a bit louder or quieter, perhaps a hint of vibrato: all when playing/bowing one note. And then she looks at you and says' OK big boy plucker, how long can you make yours last?'

Of course you might not be playing with a cellist and if you are, it might be a bloke. And maybe there are no long notes to sustain.

Stuart