Measures 5-8 (first solo) I'd feel kinda nude if I was supposed to play
the solo notes only. I wonder which instrument I'd choose. With regard
to the accidentals, the chitarrone would be my instrument of choice.
Then, however, the first entry is too high for adding chord notes. At
least if played in 1st position. The same applies to measure 10. Okay, I
give in, but then I'd REALLY have to play as LOUD as I can.
Yet there are some places where I'd certainly play continuo, e. g. p. 39
lowest system until p. 40 3rd system inclusively, p. 41 etc, where the
lute is together with the organ. Or at places where the flute answers to
the figures of the lute (p. 40 lowest system, p. 42 1st and 2nd
systems).
>From p. 40, 4th system onwards, the lute illustrates the words of the
voice which speaks about the dirge of the whispering, warbling lute,
with typically lute-like arpeggios and figures. That's why there are
those Carcassi arpeggios and why the tessitura is so low (dirge). You're
right, these figures are surely intended to be played à solo.
--
Best,

Mathias