I thought of viol - that was actually my first choice after bassoon - but I'm wondering about bass instruments that I don't know about. The little cittern is too small for bass, but I've been lusting after a Tielke myself for a very long time. Baroque guitar and chitarra battente also came to mind, of course, and I will probably play those myself when I don't play a cittern. Are there other variants? I know about the Portuguese and Mexican regional guitars.