Dear Dr. Zakin:

You refer to Julian Bream as being "The late Julian Bream". Could you clarify this statement, has Julian Bream indeed died? I have heard nothing on this issue neither can I find reference to his death on the Internet. Thank you for your response.

Vance Wood
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paavo R. Zakin, M.D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "William Brohinsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:03 AM
Subject: [LUTE] I can remain silent any longer....!!.....

Hello, William et al,
PLEASE forgive this mind-altering ukelele hyperlink, which
not only is deserving of all lutenists' scrutiny, but specifically
a further investigation of Jake Shimabukuro's works in toto:
world class uke playing; look beyond the genre <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT_Jr3vasOo&feature=related>

As a brief apology, I became enamored of the Elizabethan lute,
and learned to play it, after a sleep-over visit to my ancestral home
of the late Julian Bream, a friend of our family, when I was a early teen,
approximately 1964 or so; he practiced in our attic room, and I listened
at the base of the stairwell for hours.

Peace.  Paavo R. Zakin, MD

William Brohinsky wrote:
Colliginous Trenchancy,

I am (an an advanced age) finally working my way to an engineering degree,
and have been accepted at our state's premier technical university. They
just happen to have a Collegium Musicum (which I've played with in the
past). It just happens to have a theorbo, although currently it is classed as "in need of repair". It is my intention to get it repaired and use it to
play continuo (which I am learning now).

The only reentrant tuning I've dealt with before was a Ukelelei. (Can you
mention one of them here without starting a riot?)

I figured I could at least get a start by changing out the top two strings of my classical guitar for an A and D string, and tuning them to B and E, an
octave lower than 'usual'. This works pretty well, and I was able to make
sense of Kapsberger's toccata arpeggiata with a fair minimum of twisting my
brain around Italian tab. Up to now, I've been french/english tab
exclusively.

I seek advice and help: On a student's budget, is there a source for scale and chord studies, the basics that would make the relations of the strings make more sense to someone who has been linear-all-his-life? Any advice for
learning Italian tab for someone used to french tab? I've found that the
physical relation between the strings (high pitched string towards gravity)
and Italian tab (high string notated 'down') does me no good.

Ray