Hi, David--

  I was asked to play the piece with a student ensemble a couple years ago.
They all played modern instruments at 440. I played a gut-strung theorbo in A
that was generally tuned at 415. I ended up rewriting the part just so I had
something to play--if I'd had my way, I would perhaps have used an archlute or
even a largish lute, but the director insisted on the theorbo (looked cool!).
As I recall, the middle movement was not bad, but the outer movements were very
active way up the neck.

  Anyway, it was a very unpleasant musical experience and not something I want
to do again soon. Based on my experience, I'm convinced that the part was not
written for a theorbo in A with top two strings in re-entrant tuning.

  Good luck.

  jeff

LGS-Europe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I'm to play the Heinichen concerto in D for flute, oboe, violins, cello,
theorbo and bc (Seibel 226) next month. Anybody ever did this before and
remember what instrument he/she used? It says tiorba in the autograph. The
range is A1 till a'. C and C# are both needed, as are E and E-flat, F and
F#, and G and G#. Looks more like gallichon than theorbo as we know it, I'd
say?

Another calcedono sighting on my music stand this weekend, by the way, in
the Telemann Kantate zum zweiten Osterfeiertag 'Herr! ich bin beide'. Just
playing along with the continuo, no obligato part.

David

David van Ooijen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.davidvanooijen.nl