Dear Anthony, Rob, et al.,

My 10c is indeed at 67cm, but it always lived between 392 & 415; of course
with synthetics you could tune a lute like this up to 440 - this is why such
a lute is a practical (if sometimes inauthentic and less than musically
ideal) solution for those who have to accompany a host of different voice
types with only 1 "renaissance" lute.  Now that I have a 60cm 7c g lute at
440, life is faaar simpler.  (;

I think as a general rule, even if one uses synthetics, one shouldn't use a
set up that *couldn't* work with gut.  Of course, if one has only one lute -
as was my case - this may not always be possible professionally. That said,
if such gigs get you the money for another lute that allows for more
"authenticity" pitch-wise, as was the case with my 7c, then perhaps there is
an argument to be made!

All best,
Benjamin