Andrew
        Page 140, tells about a play on words relating to "luc" another word
for "lute". "Luc" gave a popular anagram which is "cul" and which can
be sometimes, according to CZ just vulgar, as in "gros cappitaines en
pllein champ de bataille ;.. se doddeliner, jouer du luc, sonner du
cul" Rabelais
"Big captains in the battle camp... sway to and fro, play the lute,
sound from the arse"

"To this the author of of the Poitiers lute and guitar treatise, who
may have been the poet Jacques Pelletier du Man, invokes the same
wordplay but adds a sexual innuendo: "Nos peres bon compagnons, qui
disent, que mademoiselle s=E7ait fort bien iouer du LUC renverse (but
here the word LUC, is actually put upside down on the page, implying
CUL). renverse may be read either as inverted referring to the luc/
cul anagram, or as "upended", referring to the young ladies'
posterior."  I quote CZ, here. "Jouer dud cul", in this context in
French, means sexual activity.

This sets the scene for a series of paintings. They are not
themselves obscene; but CZ suggests that this series of paintings
play on "the visual lute as as modest and the aural lute as
lascivious ..."

So depending how you mean obscene, I would interpret CZ's words as
going in that direction.

Anthony